After 2 weeks of slogging through Vanity Fair it's nice to be able to have a quick read again. Reading these two books made me realize something though... Disney has severly changed this children's classic. It's one thing to know that they slightly changed the story of Pocahontas to make it more child friendly, but they COMPLETELY changed the story of Alice in Wonderland so that they could make it into one movie.
Despite my shock and horror as I realized that Disney had totally altered this children's classic I loved theset two books. In the preface it says that Alice in Wonderland marks a turning point in children'd literature because it's the first children's book that is written purely for entertainment purposes and not for any instructional purpose. I could feel that as I read it. I tried hard to make parallels between what I was reading and real like, and I just couldn't. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could, but come on... it's summer... why would I do that?
So the moral of the story... make your children READ books before you let them watch the movie. Read the book for yourself before you watch the movie. And since ratings are starting to mean less and less... watch the movie yourself before you let your children watch it.
No comments:
Post a Comment